Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Congratulations To Pope Francis


Congratulations to Pope Francis (Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio, S.J., Archbishop of Buenos Aires, Argentina) on his election to the Papacy.

Many may have forgotten that he was supposedly a contender in 2005.  I had dismissed him as being too old to be considered this time.  Either this was not an issue for the Cardinal Electors or they believe him to be in good health.

Others may be wondering why a Latin American was elected to be Pope.  About 42% of the Catholic Church is in Latin America and his election reflects this.

Yesterday I was discussing possible Pope names with my wife.  I mentioned that it had been a while since we had a Pope take a name that had not yet been used by a Pope.  My research shows that the last Pope to take an original name was Pope Lando in 913.  I later recalled that John Paul I in 1978 took an original name.  Considering that John Paul I chose the two names together to honor both of his predecessors, so it is not as original as taking a name like Francis that had not been used as a Pope's name.

Pope Francis looks like a Pope to me.  A few days ago I had an image of John XXIII appear to me.  This image appeared to me when looking at an image of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.  Although Francis is not as large as John XXIII, the image that appeared to me reminds me more of Francis that John XXIII.

Finally, I am certain the Holy Spirit guided the College of Cardinals in selecting Pope Francis and I am sure he will guide the Church well.

Congratulations to Pope Francis, our new Pope!

No comments:

Post a Comment